Data/Hora: 28 mar 2024 22:46

Criar Novo Tópico Responder a este Tópico  [ 1 Mensagem ] 
 Reparação de Carenagens com Fibra 
Autor Mensagem
Aventureiro

Registado: 02 jun 2011 14:59
Mensagem Reparação de Carenagens com Fibra
Olá pessoal, deixei este post original em inglês no ADV Rider, coloco por cá também na íntegra caso seja do interesse de alguém que sofra dos mesmos problemas!

Abraços!

Hey guys, just sharing some work that i have been doing lately on the bike, in order to have my plastics back together, hoping that someone will find this post helpfull enough so that they can do the same, if having the same problem- i believe it is a common issue for the Africa Twin owners that push their bikes “to the limit"

I had never used these polyester repair kits that you can find for sale, so i was pretty anxious to use it, hoping to use it well.

After some tips from a few friends, i can say that in overall it was a job well done, despite beeing the first time using these materials. What i can say is that it is extremely important to use a mask, because of the vapours of the resin, and also a pair of gloves - i mean, a lot of pairs of gloves. Everytime you put a layer of material, it glues all over your gloves and you need to keep changing them.

For me i got to the desired thickness by applying 3 layers, during a whole week. Its important that the material gets hard and dry enough before the next layer.

Also, very important to be methodical and patient, always display the material you are going to use already cutted and ready to apply, because the resin can harden very fast.

First up, the damage in hands….
Imagem

Imagem

Imagem

To use as mould/cast, use ducktape in thin cardboard, and spread some vaseline on it, so that at the end its easier to unmold:

Imagem

Imagem

Its very helpfull to use a brush to aply the resin - you will need one for every layer, because obviously they also get hard as rock after using it once:

Imagem

Aplying the material is easier than it looks:

Imagem

To be sure that the material will glue it self the best way possible on the bike plastics, its also imortant to “cut” some pieces out of the plastic, to make it abrasive enough to the resin to penetrate in:

Imagem

For the bolts that hold the front plastics, on the bottom bellow the headlights, i had to glue first a nut, so that after i could apply the resin and the fiberglass - you can rub some vaseline also on the bolt and the nut, so that the resin and the rest of the material doesn’t glue on them:

Imagem

Imagem

A bit difficult, but with some patience it gets done:

Imagem

Imagem

Imagem

After unmoulding - don’t care much about the “looks”, everything goes into the inside, not very visible, so its just important that the final work is permanent:

Imagem

Imagem

Good thickness:

Imagem

Very easy to drill:

Imagem

Imagem

Imagem

Some finishing touches on the ones that would fit the other parts:

Imagem

Imagem

Imagem